The Deichtorhallen near the harbour and the main station, great halls each of 5,000 square metres, were built between 1911 and 1914 on the Deichtorplatz as a central market. One can admire the characteristic steel and brick construction used at the time. The three beautiful halls were carefully rebuilt and renovated and, since 1989, function as an exhibition centre for modern art. Various pieces of art, amongst them a sculpture by Richard Serra, are exhibited on the enormous square.
See at goole maps