Hamburg airport was built for Zeppelins in 1911 and extended between 1926 and 1928. With a further enlargement and the opening of two new Terminals in 2005, Hamburg received a modern airport. The terminals, 39 metres in height and designed like the wing of a plane, are a striking glass and steel construction by the Hamburg architects, Gerkan, Brauer, Marg and Partners. Check-in desks of the different airlines are located in the departure lounge as well as travel agents, restaurants, conference rooms and offices which are also set on the upper terrace. A walkway for passengers, 500 metres in length, connects the terminals.