The Botanical Garden was founded in 1821, west of the Esplanande. The best preserved parts of Hamburg´s fortification, including the moat, are in this area. The many mature trees are the outcome of the original plans to create the park. The garden and the area of the city´s fortification have been altered frequently as part of the International Horticultural Exhibition. The scientific institute of the Botanical Garden was transferred to the district of Groß Flottbek in 1979 where the grounds were landscaped.
Beim Alten Gaswerk 3 / Daimlerstraße
Kieler Straße 171